Do you still use the Sony Xperia P? If you do and if you don’t plan in changing your device soon, then I have the perfect update opportunity for you. This process will be perfect even if you use the Xperia P as a backup phone as now you will be able to safely test the new CyanogenMod iteration, the Lineage OS 15.0 custom ROM firmware. And, the best is that along with this latest build of Lineage OS you will also be able to test the new Android 8.0 Oreo firmware.
Shortly, if you choose to resume the steps explained below you will manage to install Android 8.0 Oreo on your Sony Xperia P. Of course, an optimized and customized version of Oreo, as we all know, due to hardware limitations your phone cannot properly run on this software. However with LineageOS 15.0 running above all your smartphone should provide a stable and a smooth Android 8.0 experience. Additionally, you can choose to apply certain tweaks in order to improve general performance, bump speeds or upgrade battery life.
LineageOS 15 for Sony Xperia P is still under development stage – those of xda-developers are responsible for this new update opportunity so the credits must go to them, we are here only to explain the actual flashing process. Overall, you might find minor issues from time to time but you can successfully use this custom ROM on a daily basis.
However, for avoiding any sort of unpleasant situations you can make a Nandroid backup before doing anything else. In this way you can save the current Android OS so that if the new Lineage OS will not run as you expected you can afterwards choose to go back to stock by using the Nandroid backup package.
Do note that a custom ROM represents a free aftermarket distribution of stock Android firmware. So, you are using a third-party firmware and not an update provided by Sony or by Google. Thus, the warranty of your Xperia P will get void, not to mention that the update operation can be successfully applied only after other tweaks are ensured.
Well, in that respect you will have to:
- Unlock the bootloader of your Sony branded device – this will partially unlock the stock Android system.
- Gain root access on your Android based device – this will completely unlock the Android core platform.
- Install a custom recovery image on your Sony Xperia P (I recommend you to use TWRP recovery) – the update package can be flashed only if a custom recovery environment is being used.
So, before resuming any other step make sure you apply the essential pre-requisites described above. Then, take your smartphone and initiate a backup operation – this is more than recommended because during the Android 8.0 Oreo update operation a hard reset will be initiated – also, clearing app data cache will be also required. So, if you don’t want to lose important data, info or accounts, don’t hesitate and backup your Sony Xperia P – you can use backup and restore apps that are already running on your phone, you can sync your files with your Google Account or you can just download cloud storage platforms from Google Play.
You can install the Lineage OS 15.0 custom ROM firmware on your Sony Xperia P only manually. Thus, you will have to download the update package on a computer. Of course, your phone and its USB cable will be required too.
Now, on your smartphone you first have to gain Developer rights. This process can be easily applied – all you need to do is to tap repeatedly on Built Number (after 7 or 10 taps you will be prompted with the ‘you are a developer’ message). Afterwards go to Menu – > Settings and access Developer Options; from there check the USB Debugging feature.
It’s important to charge your Xperia P before starting to install the Android 8.0 Oreo software. As you know, if your phone gets turned off in the middle of the update operation, the Android core system might get damaged (different issues might cause severe malfunction so you can end up in soft bricking your phone). Therefore, try to avoid such situations and plug in the charger if the power that’s left is currently lower than 50%.
The LineageOS 15.0 ROM prompted during the following lines is compatible with the Sony Xperia P. So, as you can already tell, this tutorial is compatible only with this particular Android based device; don’t mess things up from this perspective.
How to Update Sony Xperia P to Android 8.0 Oreo via LineageOS 15.0 custom ROM firmware
- Open your computer and enable an Internet connection.
- First, go here and download the LineageOS 15.0 ROM.
- Then, go here and download compatible Google Apps.
- Hint: Google apps isn’t included in the update package so it must be flashed separately.
- You should place both files on desktop.
- Meanwhile, power off your Xperia P; also, wait while the switch off process is completed.
- Afterwards, reboot recovery mode on your device.
- From recovery it’s time to initiate the full wipe; so select ‘wipe data factory reset’, ‘wipe cache partition’ and ‘wipe dalvik cache’.
- Return to main menu of recovery and pick ‘reboot system now’.
- Connect your phone with your computer – you can do that by plugging in the USB cord.
- Select and then transfer the downloaded files from desktop to your handset.
- Then, remove the USB cable and power off your Xperia P as recovery mode must be once more reached.
- This time, from recovery tap on Install and load the Android 8.0 Oreo software package.
- Swipe and wait while the update operation is being automatically completed.
- Follow this last step and install Google Apps on your phone.
- When everything’s done, from main menu of recovery choose ‘reboot’ and enjoy.
Android 8.0 Oreo is powering your Sony Xperia P now. Don’t forget that everything is powered by the LineageOS 15.0 engine so test the new features, apps, capabilities and the overall functionality. If you find something that isn’t running as expected share your observations with us through the comments field available below.