The Galaxy Grand Prime was a great device and it still is if you don’t have high expectations from its performance. In that respect, the Grand Prime can be a great backup solution as it can still run smoothly when default apps and processes are initiated. And it can also be used for testing new custom ROMs such as Lineage OS 15. This particular ROM will offer you the possibility of testing the Android 8.0 Oreo OS right from your own Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime.
The Lineage OS 15 for Galaxy Grand Prime is stable enough for a daily use. Don’t get me wrong, everything will smoothly run but since the system is still under development stage you might find, from time to time, minor things that aren’t working quite as expected. However, the main idea is that you can successfully run the Android 8.0 Oreo software on a daily basis.
And the best is that through this ROM you can improve the performance of your Galaxy Grand Prime. With Lineage OS 15 installed your smartphone should run faster and even better. The battery life will be improved, you will be able to customize, optimize and personalize the Android core system and you can also choose to apply further tweaks such as overclocking or undervolting CPU frequencies.
Lineage OS 15 is a free aftermarket distribution of stock Android OS. It is developed by third party devs (those of xda-developers are ‘behind’ this Android 8.0 Oreo release so we must thank them for this new update opportunity) and is nothing but an unofficial port of the stock firmware. So, the update operation isn’t supported by Samsung – you are going to perform an unofficial process so be careful when applying all the steps from below.
A new ROM that cannot be related with the official firmware can be added only after a hard reset is completed. For us that means only one thing: all your personal data, info, accounts and files will be erased. Because of that a backup should be initiated before anything else – through different backup and restore tools you will be able to save your contacts, call logs, texts, images, videos, audio files, market apps, internet settings, calendar info, saved passwords, the EFS folder, IMEI / NVRAM data and more.
And since we are discussing about backup operations, you should also save the current Android OS that runs on your device. This process can be completed through recovery mode and is dubbed as Nandroid backup. Basically, after flashing the Lineage OS you can go back to stock easily by flashing the Nandroid backup package.
Root your Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime. The root process must be ensured as that’s the only way in which you can unlock the Android system and prepare it for the update operation that will shortly follow. Also, a custom recovery image must run on your phone as through that environment you will apply the Android 8.0 Oreo firmware – I recommend you to use the latest build of TWRP recovery in order to apply all the steps without hassle.
The Lineage OS 15 and compatible Google Apps must be downloaded on a computer – yes, this is a manual update operation. Also, on your Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime you need to enable the USB Debugging option – navigate to menu – > settings – > developer options. For gaining Developer options you will first have to access About Phone and tap on Built Number – tap repeatedly on that field until you get the ‘you are a developer’ message.
Now, charge your Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime – the battery power left is an important aspect as if the power is too low your device can get turned off during the Lineage OS 15 update operation, situation during which you can end up in soft bricking the Android system. So, verify the power that’s left and plug in the charger if the juice currently goes under the 50% threshold.
How to Update Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime to Android 8.0 Oreo with Lineage OS 15
- Open your computer and enable an Internet connection.
- Then, navigate towards this page and download the Lineage OS 15 package. Next, go here and download compatible Google Apps – it must be flashed separately because it’s not included in the update system.
- Power off your Samsung branded device – press the Power button and choose ‘power off’ or press and hold the Power key for a few moments.
- Afterwards, go to recovery mode from where complete a full wipe by choosing: “wipe data factory reset” followed by “wipe cache partition” and by “wipe dalvik cache”.
- Reboot to Android mode after applying the wipe.
- Use the USB cable and connect your Galaxy Grand Prime with your computer.
- From desktop copy-paste the downloaded files and place them on your smartphone.
- The computer is no longer useful so remove the USB cable.
- Reboot recovery mode again and this time tap on Install.
- Pick up the Android 8.0 Oreo firmware file and follow on-screen prompts for resuming the update operation.
- Repeat the same step and install the Google Apps package.
- In the end you just have to reboot your Prime and that’s it.
So, that was all. Now you can start using the Android 8.0 Oreo firmware on your own Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime. Don’t forget that Lineage OS 15 is running above all, so use the new features and tweak your device in order to obtain better results when using your favorite apps. You can tell us how everything worked for you by using the comments field from below.