Huawei just released the new Honor 7X but that doesn’t mean you cannot already tweak its built-in Android system. Thanks to those of xda-developers you can now successfully unlock the bootloader of your phone and initiate similar other custom operations. But, in order to make everything clear we will start with the bootloader aspect first. Thus, shortly, during this step by step guide we are going to learn everything about the bootloader that runs on your Honor 7X along with the method that can be followed for unlocking it.
Since Android is an open-source platform, it’s quite easy to find the perfect ways to modify it. The goal is to customize, optimize and personalize everything starting from built-in apps and features and ending with default performance. Overall, with the right tweaks applied you can manage to improve the Android experience that you receive from your brand new Huawei Honor 7X.
However, most tweaks can be applied only after you remove built-in restrictions. Well, in most situations that can be applied only if you first unlock the bootloader of your Android device – so, this is a preliminary initiative that will later help you customize and optimize your handset.
The bootloader is a small program, similar with the program that runs on your computer and which is initiated each to you switch on or reboot your notebook or laptop. So, the Android bootloader is the program that loads the actual firmware and other start-up programs and features. These programs are initiated from the ROM memory and loaded into the RAM partition. Shortly, without the bootloader running your Honor 7X cannot be used at all.
Now, by default the bootloader program is pre-installed with different restrictions. These restrictions are preventing further tweaks from happening, which means that if you want to ‘play’ with your phone’s default features, apps and capabilities you should first remove the restrictions. So, that’s why you have to unlock your Huawei Honor 7X bootloader.
After taking care of the steps explained below you will be able to apply different other custom processes such as: installing a custom recovery image like TWRP or CWM recovery, gaining root access by flashing SuperSU, removing bloatware, adding features that cannot be found on the default Android system, overclock or undervolt CPU frequencies, make Nandroid backups and lot more.
Now, unlocking the bootloader of your Honor 7X is not an official operation – because you will remove built – in restrictions. So, you will lose the warranty of your phone while following the steps from below – even though, as you will notice, the actual unlock process is offered by Huawei itself. Thus, if you’re not feeling comfortable about this aspect maybe it will be better to stop here. Note: the warranty can be restored afterwards by reinstalling the stock Android firmware (in that case you will also manage to relock the bootloader).
Saving your personal data, info, accounts and files is recommended – in most situations you shouldn’t worry about losing anything, but just to be precautious you should at least secure the most important files: contacts, call logs, texts, images, videos, audio files, market apps, internet settings, calendar info, saved passwords, EFS folder, IMEI / NVRAM data and so on. On the Honor 7X you can already use cloud storage services or you can use similar other backup and restore solutions: you can sync your data with your Google Account or you can download dedicated apps from Google Play (in that case make sure you download only already tested software).
As you will see, completing the steps from below is quite easy and also really fast – it shouldn’t take you more than 5 minutes. However, before starting the unlocking procedure you should first apply the essential pre-requisites which are being explained during the following list:
- This is going to be a manual operation so a computer is required.
- On this computer you first have to install the Honor 7X drivers.
- Also, on the same PC you have to set up ADB: learn how to install Android SDK on Windows or how to set up ADB on MAC OS X / Linux.
- On your smartphone enable Developer Options: access About Phone and start tapping on Built Number until the ‘you are a developer’ message is displayed – you will probably have to tap repeatedly for 7 or 10 times.
- Afterwards, access Developer Options (from ‘menu – > settings’) and check the USB Debugging feature and the OEM Unlocking field.
- Verify the power that’s left on your handset. If it’s lower than 50% plug in the charger before going to unlock the bootloader.
- Hint: don’t skip the charging process – if your Honor 7X will get turned off in the middle of the unlocking operation you will risk in soft bricking your smartphone (different soft related problems might cause malfunctions within the Android core system).
How to Unlock Honor 7X Bootloader in less than 5 minutes
- First of all, go here. Log in with your own Huawei account – if you don’t have one, create it.
- Next, from the same page go to Downloads – > Unlock Bootloader.
- When asked, fill up the form with your phone’s IMEI number and with the other additional info.
- Huawei will provide an unlock code; write it down.
- Power on your handset and connect it with your computer with the help of the USB cable.
- On your computer access the Android SDK folder.
- From there open a cmd window: press and hold the Shift keyboard key and while doing so right click on any blank space; then choose ‘open command prompt window here’.
- In the cmd window type ‘adb reboot bootloader’ and press Enter.
- Bootloader mode will be reached on your Honor 7X now.
- Return to the cmd window and type ‘fastboot oem unlock unlock_code’ (just put the recently received unlock code there) and press Enter.
- Good; the bootloader will be now automatically unlocked.
- When that’s done, remove the USB cable and restart your smartphone.
- That should be all.
So, the steps from above must be followed if you want, or have to unlock the bootloader of your Huawei Honor 7X. You can share your own experience with us and with other Android users easily by filling out the comments field from below. Also, don’t forget to stay close if you want to learn similar other Android related tips and tricks or complex tutorials. Enjoy.