This tutorial teaches you how to manually install the new Android 8.1.0 Oreo official update for the Google Pixel devices.
The Android 8.1.0 OTA Updates are being rolled out for all the Pixel devices, but these are done in stages which means that not everyone will get the new updates at the same time as others. If you are an advanced user, then you can complete this update easily using the ADB Sideload method.
The official Android 8.1.0 updates brings the following new tweaks and features: Search Bar will be featured on the bottom part of the device’s home screen, translucent Notification Quick Settings, Fading Navigation buttons, revamped Settings menu, improved Power Menu just like the one on Pixel 2 devices, Wallpaper-based themes, and more others.
Check the following guidelines before starting the flashing process:
- this guide is destined to be used only for the Google Pixel devices.
- do not attempt to update any other different Smartphones with the files found in this tutorial.
- note that you have to install the new Android 8.1.0 Dec 2017 OPM1 OTA image file only over the previous Android 8.0.0 Nov 2017 OPR3.
– if you install it over older Android builds you will be given an error and the process will fail.
- also, you have to run a complete stock Android 8.0.0 firmware.
– if the installed OS has been modified in any way you will not be able to complete the update process.
- make sure to enable USB Debuggin from Developer Options menu.
– the Developer Options might be hidden, which is why you have to unhide that first: go to Settings> About Phone> and tap seven times on the Build Number text.
– return to Settings, as now the Developer Options menu will be listed there.
– open Dev Options and enable USB Debugging.
- make sure to use the guide only if you are an advanced user.
- we cannot be blamed if you brick the phone nor in case you lose any data in the process.
- make sure to check the battery charge level of your device before starting the update, as there needs to be at least 50% charge left until it switches off.
- read the entire guide and do not skip any steps.
How to flash Android 8.1.0 Update Manually for Google Pixel using ADB Sideload:
The first thing that you need to do is to setup the Android ADB and Platform-Tools drivers on your computer. This will help you connect the phone with the PC.
Here’s how to do that:
- download the Platform-Tools archive from the link specific to your computer’s OS:
– for Windows click here.
– for Mac OS click here.
– for Linux click here.
- unzip the files and save them all under Platform-Tools folder on your PC.
- download and install Google USB drivers from here, too.
After you’ve done all of the above you can start the installation of the new official update.
Install Android 8.1.0 Oreo Official OTA Image for Google Pixel:
- Download the firmware archive file from here.
- When the download is done you have to rename it to a simple title like update.zip
– this will allow you to easily load the file using ADB Sideload and install it.
- Move the update.zip to Platform-Tools folder.
– this is the same folder that you’ve set up above the tutorial.
- Switch off the phone.
- Boot it in Recovery Mode.
- In Recovery Mode you need to select ‘apply update from adb’.
- Connect your phone to PC via usb cable.
– make sure that the phone has been detected by the computer and then continue to the next step.
- Get to Platform-Tools folder and launch the Command Prompt / Terminal window there.
- In CMD / Terminal screen you have to enter the following command line to initiate the update process: adb sideload update.zip
– do not press anything until the update is completed.
- When the installation is completed successfully you can reboot the device in normal mode.
These were the steps that you had to take in order to regain control over your device.
If the installation fails to complete you will have to try and repeat the whole tutorial more than once. If you repeat installation, then you have to make sure that you won’t skip any steps and that your phone meets all requirements.