Sony just released the official Android 8.0 Oreo firmware for the Xperia XZ. The OTA is being pushed out as we speak so you should receive your own notification pretty soon. However, if you are tired of waiting or if you know that your device cannot receive the Oreo OTA (we will discuss about these aspects in a few moments) don’t panic; instead choose to use the guidelines from below and learn how to manually install the new official Android 8.0 Oreo firmware on your Sony Xperia XZ.
Usually, an OTA is offered in phases and for limited markets only. That’s why some Xperia XZ users will receive their Android notification sooner than others. Also, by default an official ROM can be automatically received only in certain conditions: if the stock Android OS is already running and if root access wasn’t ensured on your phone – otherwise, you cannot receive the OTA so you must complete a manual update process.
Therefore, if the OTA cannot be spotted on your Xperia XZ you need to follow the lines from below. Be careful as since you are going to use the official Android 8.0 Oreo OS, in the end you will revoke any tweaking access that was previously ensured – thus, you will manage to revoke root access, to reinstall the stock recovery image, to relock the bootloader and reinstall the bloatware and all the other factory and default restrictions. Basically, you will manage to restore your smartphone back to its initial state.
From this perspective you can use this update operation for fixing different software related problems such as boot loops, lags, bugs, force close errors, battery drain, heating situations, signal strength problems, total blackouts and similar other malfunctions. Thus, by flashing the official Android 8.0 Oreo firmware you can successfully unbrick the Sony Xperia XZ.
The official Android 8.0 Oreo firmware is released by Sony so you will flash a fully stable ROM that’s pre-loaded with everything that’s new in the Android system. The software is fast, light and optimized for providing better performance while using less resources – overall, the battery life will be also improved.
So, if you want to test the new Oreo build, don’t think twice and resume all the steps from below. But, before doing so, make sure a backup is ensured – this is an optional process, but still recommended since your personal data, info, files and accounts might get corrupted or wiped out during the flashing operation. Don’t worry, completing the backup will only take a few moments from your time as you can choose to sync your files with your Google account, you can store everything using built-in cloud storage platforms or you can go to Google Play and download dedicated backup and restore tools.
Using this guide isn’t implying risks. Manually flashing the Android 8.0 Oreo firmware is an official operation supported by Sony and by Google. That’s why you won’t have to use complex or risky programs and also that’s why the warranty of your Xperia XZ won’t get void during the same process.
However, a computer is required right from the start. There, you need to install the Xperia XZ drivers before doing anything else. Next, on your handset you need to gain Developer rights – go to About Phone and start tapping repeatedly on Built Number until the ‘you are a developer’ message is received. Moreover, on your smartphone access Developer Options (within Menu – > Settings) and from that field check the USB Debugging feature.
Another important aspect: charge your Sony Xperia XZ before updating to Android 8.0 Oreo. Note: resume the charging process only if the power left is currently lower than 50%, otherwise you are good to go. Keep in mind one thing: if you smartphone will get turned off in the middle of the flashing process its Android system might get soft bricked.
And, of course, you can easily mess things up if you choose to resume these guidelines on a similar or different Android based device – the steps from below are compatible only with the Sony Xperia XZ.
How to Manually Install official Android 8.0 Oreo on Sony Xperia XZ
- Download the stock Android 8.0 Oreo software: for the Single SIM model go here, and for the Dual SIM variant access this page.
- Download Flashtool from here.
- Run the flashtool executable file and follow on-screen prompts for resuming the installation process.
- Access the Flashoot folder, go to the Drivers subfolder and install the drivers for flashtool using the drivers.exe executable file.
- From Flashtool folder then access the Firmwares field and there create a new folder.
- Now, copy the downloaded .ftf package and transfer it into the newly created folder.
- Next, run Flashtool on your computer.
- From the flashing program change the source folder destination to the folder where you saved the Android 8.0 Oreo .ftf file.
- From the Firmwares list pick up the Oreo package.
- Under Wipe select all the available checkboxes.
- From the bottom-right corner click on the Flash button.
- You will be prompted to connect your Xperia XZ with your computer.
- First, put your device into fastboot mode (aka download mode) and then connect it with your computer via USB cable.
- The installation process should automatically start. Wait until the Android 8.0 Oreo software is flashed on your Sony Xperia XZ and when done, remove the USB cable close Flashtool and reboot your smartphone.
There you have it. The steps from above must be followed and applied if you want to manually update the Sony Xperia XZ to official Android 8.0 Oreo firmware. You can tell us everything about your update experience by using the comments field from below. If you experienced issues we will try to assist you as soon as possible. That’s all; enjoy.