The official new Nougat November 2017 security update is being rolled out in stages for all the Canadian Galaxy S6 Edge users.
If you do not want to wait until your carrier rolls out the new update in your region, then you can use the ODIN app to complete the new update manually.
This guide can be used in case you have installed a custom ROM on your Galaxy S6 device, and now you are looking to restore it to 100% stock Android firmware.
Check the following guidelines before starting the flashing process:
- use the tutorial only for the Canadian Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge phones.
– the model number of your smartphone has to be the SM – G925W8.
– do not try to use the tutorial for other different devices.
- download the Samsung USB drivers from here and install them on your computer.
– these drivers will allow the phone to be detected by the computer when connected via usb cable.
- for this update to be completed successfully you will use the Odin 3.12.3 tool.
– for Odin to open and connect with your device you need to enable USB Debugging from the phone’s Developer Options menu.
– if you can’t find Developer Options you need to unhide this menu first: go to Settings> About phone> Software Info and tap seven times on the Build Number text.
– get back to Settings, find Developer Options and enable USB Debugging.
- the Android 7 update can be flashed over rooted firmware, but you need to know that root access won’t survive the update process.
– any custom Recovery you might have flashed will be replaced with stock Recovery.
- you can flash the new update over a custom ROM, too, but you need to know that an extra Factory Reset process has to be applied for your phone to be able to boot in normal mode.
– the Factory Reset process will delete only data from system partition, no files will be deleted from internal storage.
– Factory Resetting the phone will allow it to boot with the new firmware.
– note that these steps are listed at the end of the tutorial.
- if your phone runs 100% stock Android firmware, then you can get straight to the next part of this post, and learn how to manually complete the new update.
- read the whole post and do not skip any steps.
- this guide has to be applied by advanced users only, we cannot be blamed in case you brick the phone nor in case you lose any important data files.
These were the guidelines you had to go over before starting the update process.
How to flash Android 7 Nougat November 2017 Update for Canadian Galaxy S6 Edge G925W8:
- Download the firmware update file for your specific Galaxy S6 Edge carrier model from the link here.
Make sure to download the file that is listing the carrier you’re using for your device.
- After the download is completed successfully you will have to extract the archived contents.
You will obtain the G925W8VLS5DQK1 BL, CP, AP, HOME_CSC update files.
– don’t extract the file archives of these files.
- Download Odin 3.12.3 zip from here.
Unzip the contents.
- Power off the phone.
- Boot it in Download Mode.
- Open Odin exe on the PC and connect the phone via usb cable.
– wait for Odin to detect the phone and then continue to the next part of this post.
– if the phone is not added you need to reinstall the Samsung usb drivers.
- In ODIN you now have to load all the new updating files.
Click BL and load the G925W8VLS5DQK1 with BL in the name.
Click CP and load the G925W8VLS5DQK1 with CP in the name.
Click AP and load the G925W8VLS5DQK1 with AP in the title.
Click CSC and load the G925W8VLS5DQK1 file with HOME_CSC in the name. Don’t load the file with only CSC in the name, as that one will delete all the data from your device.
- Press START to begin the updating process.
- When the update is done you can see the PASS alert shown by ODIN, and your phone will now reboot in normal mode.
- Unplug the phone from PC and wait for the first boot process to complete successfully.
These were the instructions you had to go over in order to complete the new update process.
If the update fails you need to repeat the whole tutorial more than once. But, make sure that you won’t skip any steps and that your phone meet all requirements.
If the PASS alert is shown by ODIN, but your phone enters in a boot loop, ot it gets stuck at the boot animation screen, then you have to Factory Reset the phone.
The Factory Reset process has to be applied in case you have installed the new update over a custom ROM, too. Here’s how to factory reset the device:
- power off the phone.
- boot it in Recovery Mode.
- select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’.
- reboot phone in normal mode.
If you need more help tell us in comments.