OnePlus 5T officially received the Android 8.1 Oreo software – the firmware is currently available as an OTA so you should automatically receive the notification if your phone is already running on stock Android OS. Anyhow, if you want to use something different, and easily customizable, you should instead choose to use a custom ROM. And in that respect, today we will discuss about the new OmniROM release, the one that’s based on the Android 8.1 Oreo system.
So, the new OmniROM firmware is coming with the latest build of Android, the Oreo 8.1 software. Of course, this is only a ported version of the stock firmware, a modified Android platform that comes with its own UI, features and capabilities. Now, with this new custom ROM installed your OnePlus 5T should run better, faster and smoother while you will be enjoying an upgraded battery life. Overall, now the full potential of your smartphone will be unleashed.
Additionally, you will be able to choose how to customize, optimize and personalize everything. You can remove certain start-up programs, you can add new features, you can modify built-in capabilities and set up other tweaks for improving general performance, everything while running on the latest Android 8.1 Oreo software.
It’s true, the OmniROM 8.1 OS is still under development stage. So, you might find minor issues from time to time – nothing major though which means that you can successfully use this ROM on a daily basis without experiencing annoying bugs, lags, force close errors or other similar software related malfunctions.
You can successfully flash this new Android 8.1 powered ROM on your OnePlus 5T only after completing other tweaks on your device. In that matter you need to know that your device must be rooted – an unlocked Android system is required in this situation and with root you will remove the built-in restrictions. Furthermore, an unlocked bootloader will be also required. Moreover, on your smartphone you have to install a custom recovery image – I recommend you to use the latest version of TWRP recovery in order to make things work without problems.
This is going to be an unofficial operation as you won’t be using the official Android firmware but a free aftermarket distribution of the same software. So, you are going to lose your phone’s warranty if you choose to resume this update process. However, if it will be required, the warranty can be restored on your OnePlus 5T. But, for being able to achieve that you will have to reinstall the stock Android firmware through a dedicated manual process.
A Nandroid backup should be completed – this is a precaution measure that can save you from other unpleasant situations. The Nandroid backup will save the current Android OS, so if the OmniROM will not run as you expected you will be able to flash the Nandroid backup package and restore the stock Android OS.
Along with this dedicated backup operation you should also save the data which wasn’t there from day one. I am talking about your contacts, call logs, texts, images, videos, audio files, market apps, internet settings, EFS folder, IMEI / NVRAM data and similar other files. A general backup is more than recommended as during the flashing process from below a full wipe will be initiated and completed – you will have to hard reset the OnePlus 5T and clear app data cache. The backup can be easily applied by syncing files with your Google Account, by using backup and restore apps from Google Play or by using built-in cloud storage platforms.
You can install this Android 8.1 Oreo based custom ROM only if you can use a computer. Your OnePlus 5T and its USB cord will be also required. Other pre-requisites are implying the following aspects:
- On your phone you have to enable Developer Options – this is a process that can be ensured by tapping repeatedly (for about 7 or 10 times) on Built Number (a field located under About Phone). Just keep tapping on Built Number until you receive the ‘you are a developer’ message.
- After enabling Developer Options, access this new field from your phone – you can do that from Menu – > Settings; then, from there check the USB Debugging field.
- On your OnePlus 5T verify the power status – if the power that’s left is lower than 50% you should plug in the charger before doing anything else.
- Hint: if you skip the charging operation you risk in soft bricking your handset – that can happen if a sudden shut down occur (different malfunctions can be caused within the Android core system).
- Make sure you follow and apply the steps from below only if you own the OnePlus 5T. This OmniROM build is compatible only with the already mentioned Android based device.
How to Install Android 8.1 Oreo on OnePlus 5T via OmniROM custom ROM Firmware
- Power on your computer and enable an Internet connection. Then, go here and download the OmniROM firmware file.
- Afterwards, access this page and get compatible Google Apps – it isn’t included on the update package so it must be installed separately.
- You can save these files on desktop – you need to use them in a few moments.
- Power off your smartphone and wait while the switch off process is completed.
- Reboot recovery mode on your OnePlus 5T.
- From recovery make a full wipe – you can do that by choosing “wipe data factory reset” followed by “wipe cache partition” and by “wipe dalvik cache”.
- Return to main menu of recovery when that’s done and pick up ‘reboot system now’.
- Next, you need to connect your smartphone with your computer – just plug in the USB cable.
- From your computer, select and then copy-paste the downloaded files on your phone. In the end, remove the USB cord as the computer is no longer required.
- Now, reboot recovery once more on your Android device.
- This time, from the main menu of recovery tap on Install. Then, load the Android 8.1 Oreo based OmniROM firmware.
- Swipe in order to start the flashing process. When that’s done, repeat the step from above and install compatible Google Apps.
- Finally, return to main menu of recovery and pick up Reboot system now.
- That should be all.
Congratulations; the Android 8.1 based OmniROM custom ROM firmware should now successfully boot on your OnePlus 5T. You should start testing the new software now in order to make a proper idea about the new features and capabilities. Don’t forget to share your experience with us and with our readers by using the comments field from down below. Enjoy.