The Android 8.1 Oreo Developer Preview 1 Factory Images are now live for the Google Pixel XL smartphones.
Check the guidelines listed in this post if you want to learn how to flash the latest Android test firmware on your smartphone.
The Android 8.1 Oreo Developer Preview builds are bringing the following new changes: a Dark / Light SystemUI theme that’s based on the wallpaper, adaptive Quick Settings panel that will now be semi-transparent, Settings menu revamped, added Oreo easter egg, Navigation Buttons bar now will be dimmed when inactive, Power Menu from Pixel 2 now will be packed on all the Pixel and Nexus devices running Oreo, Ambient Display date added under the clock, long pressing on notifications will prompt a vibration, and others more.
Before starting the installation process you need to check the following guidelines:
- use this tutorial only for the Google Pixel XL smartphones.
– don’t try to update any other devices with the files that you will find in this post.
- you need to enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlock from Developer Options.
– the Developer Options might be hidden which is why you should enable that first: go to Settings> About Phone and tap 7 times on the Build Number text.
- return to Settings and Developer Options will be listed there, so you can now enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlock.
- the installation of Android 8.1 Factory Image will wipe everything from your smartphone.
– make sure to save all the important data files before starting the installation.
- don’t blame us in case you brick the device nor in case you lose any data files in the process.
- use the tutorial only if you are an advanced user.
- check the battery charge level of your phone and make sure that there is at least 50% charge left before it powers off completely.
- read the whole post and do not skip any steps.
Those were all extra guidelines you had to go over before starting the installation process. Now that you know all of the above you can continue to the next part of this post and learn how to flash a brand new official Android Oreo factory image.
How to install Android 8.1 Oreo Developer Preview Factory Image for Google Pixel XL:
First thing that you have to do is to setup the Android ADB and Fastboot drivers using the “platform-tools” files below.
Here’s how to setup Platform-Tools:
- download Platform-Tools zip from the link corresponding to your computer’s OS:
– for Linux click here.
– for Windows click here.
– for Mac OS go here.
- make sure to download the file that corresponds to your system’s OS, and save the file on your PC.
- extract the archived contents and save them all in a new Platform-Tools folder.
- download and install Google USB drivers from here.
Now that you’ve done all that you can continue to the installation part of this post.
- Download the Android 8.1 Oreo Preview 1 Factory Image from here.
- After the download is completed you need to extract the contents and save them all in “Platform-Tools” folder.
That’s the same folder you’ve configured above.
- Power off the Pixel XL device.
- Next, boot it in Fastboot Mode.
- Connect your phone to PC via usb cable.
Make sure that the phone has been detected by the computer.
- Go back to Platform-Tools and launch a command prompt there with administrator rights.
- Enter the following command line to unlock the phone’s bootloader: fastboot flashing unlock
Confirm the bootloader unlocking process and continue to the next step. Note that no data will survive the update process.
- In order to begin the installation of Android 8.1 Oreo Factory Image you need to launch the Flash-all.bat file.
For Linux and Mac OS use the Flash-all.sh script.
- Confirm the installation process and wait for it be completed.
- When installation is done you can unplug the phone from PC and reboot it in normal mode.
These were all the steps that you had to follow in order to complete the new official update process.
I hope that you have managed to complete the installation. In case you need any extra help you need to tell us in comments.