Xiaomi Redmi Note 4X might be a mid-range device but it can still be installed with the latest Android firmware package. For now we are not discussing about an official MIUI roll out but about a custom ROM firmware based on the new Android One software, which is the official OS pre-loaded on the new Xiaomi Mi A1. So, if you want to try this ROM on your own smartphone, don’t hesitate and use the steps from below – there I will show you how to install the ported Android One custom ROM system on your Xiaomi Redmi Note 4X.
This port of Android One has been developed by the Xda senior member GLokin666. So, we must thank him for this new Android 7.1.2 Nougat update opportunity available for the Xiaomi Redmi Note 4X. As for the actual firmware, you need to know that you cannot yet use a full stable ROM. The software is still under development stage so you might experience issues while using the Android One system. However, only minor issues are still there which means that you can successfully use the update on a daily basis without too many headaches.
That’s why before flashing Android One secure the current Android ROM. That can be done easily through a Nandroid backup operation. This will be a dedicated backup which will save essential Android files. So, if the new ROM will not run as you expected, you can choose to flash the Nandroid backup package for going back to stock. Thus, you can test the Android One update on your Xiaomi Redmi Note 4X without risking anything.
Flashing a custom ROM, thus applying the steps from this tutorial, is not a process supported by your OEM. Remember that this is not an official roll out for your Note 4X, so the actual update cannot be associated with Xiaomi in any manner. That’s why you will most likely lose your phone’s warranty after applying this update guide.
Moreover, your data will be erased during the flashing process. Unfortunately, that happens because the new ROM cannot run unless a hard reset is first initiated – clearing app data cache will also happen. Therefore, if you have something important stored on your device I advise you to make a general backup. In this way you can secure almost everything that wasn’t there from day one. The backup can be completed by using cloud storage platforms (built-in services or apps from Google Play, it doesn’t really matter), or by syncing your files with your own Google Account.
After securing your files you need to apply the essential pre-requisites as followed:
- Gain root access on the Xiaomi Redmi Note 4X. A custom ROM can be flashed only on an unlocked Android software since the new platform must modify and customize built-in settings, features and processes.
- Note: an unlocked bootloader might be required when trying to root your phone.
- Install a custom recovery image on your smartphone. The Android One firmware can be flashed only through a custom recovery image.
- Hint: install the latest build of TWRP recovery in order to succeed with your update plans from first attempt.
Perfect. Now, since you are going to perform a manual update operation, before heading towards the actual steps from below make sure that a computer can be used. On this computer you will have to download the update package. Of course, your smartphone and its USB cable must be near you too. Afterwards, on your phone you have to tap repeatedly on Built Number (from About Phone) in order to enable Developer Options (keep tapping on Built Number until the ‘you are a developer’ message is displayed). Finally, from Developer Options (go to ‘menu – > settings’) check the USB Debugging field.
Charge your Xiaomi Redmi Note 4X before installing the Android One custom ROM firmware. You should plug in the charger especially if the power that’s left is lower than 50%. This process can help you avoid further unpleasant situations as your device can get soft bricked if its Android system will stop running in the middle of the flashing process.
How to Install Android 7.1.2 Nougat based Android One ROM on the Xiaomi Redmi Note 4X
- Download the Android 7.1.2 Nougat custom ROM file for your Redmi Note 4X from this page.
- Save the Android One firmware on desktop if that’s possible.
- Power off your Redmi Note 4X and afterwards go to recovery mode menu.
- From recovery make a full wipe: choose “wipe data factory reset”, “wipe cache partition” and “wipe dalvik cache”.
- Return to main menu of recovery when done and pick up ‘reboot system now’.
- Connect your phone with your computer via USB cable.
- From desktop transfer the custom ROM package on your phone.
- Remove the USB cable and enter recovery mode menu of your Note 4X again.
- This time, from recovery tap on Install and load the Android One firmware.
- Swipe for beginning the flashing operation.
- When it’s done, from main menu of recovery select “reboot” and that’s it.
And that’s all. The Android 7.1.2 Nougat powered Android One custom ROM firmware is running on your Xiaomi Redmi Note 4X. Remember that you can anytime go back to stock if the new software isn’t performing as expected – of course, a Nandroid backup should be first completed. You can share your update experience with us through the comments field from below. Enjoy.