The official Android 7 Nougat update is rolling out over-the-air for all the Korean models of the Galaxy S6 edge phones.
The new Nougat firmware updates will roll out as OTA files only, which means that not all users are going to get them at the same time.
If you own one of these models and you are looking to manually update your device, then you should check the info posted below.
Also, this guide is great in case you have modified your phone’s OS in any way, such as installing a custom ROM, then you can restore it to stock firmware using the same ODIN app, and the same files provided in this post. Before starting the flashing process you need to check the following guidelines:
- use the tutorial only with the Korean variants of the Galaxy S6 Edge phones.
– the model numbers supported are the G925K, G925L, and the G925S corresponding to LG Uplus, KT Corporation and SK Telecom.
– check the model of your device and then continue with the installation.
- don’t use this tutorial for other different Samsung models.
- download the Samsung usb drivers from here and install them on your computer.
– the usb drivers will allow your PC to detect the phone.
- Odin 3.12.3 is the app that you need to use in order to complete the Nougat 7 OS update.
– for ODIN to open on your PC you need to install the above USB above drivers, and to enable the USB Debugging from the phone’s Developer Options.
– if you cannot find Developer Options you have to unlock them by going to Settings> About Device, here tap 7 times on the Firmware Build Number text.
– return to Settings, find Developer Options and enable USB Debugging option.
- you can flash the new update over rooted firmware, but you should know that root access will be revoked after the installation is done.
- any custom Recovery like CWM or TWRP will be replaced with stock Recovery image.
- Android 7.0 Nougat official firmware can be installed with ODIN over custom ROMs, this restores the phone to stock Android.
You need to know that you will have to Factory Reset the device in case you install the new official update over custom ROMs.
– the Factory Reset process wipes clean system partition, it removes the old custom ROM and it forces the phone to boot in normal mode.
– Factory Resetting the smartphone will not delete any data from internal storage.
– all the Factory Reset steps that you need to use are listed at the end of this post.
- if your phone runs 100% stock Android, then no data will be lost in the process and your phone will boot in normal mode when all files are installed.
- this tutorial should be used by advanced users only.
- we cannot be blamed if your brick the phone nor in case you lose any important data files in the process.
Now that you know all of the above you can continue to the next part of this post.
How to flash Android 7.0 Nougat for Korean Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge G925K/L/S:
- Download the Android 7 Nougat official update file for your corresponding S6 Edge Korean model from the links below:
– KT Corporation Galaxy S6 edge G925K Nougat OS download link here.
– LG Uplus Galaxy S6 edge G925L Nougat OS download link here.
– SK Telecom Galaxy S6 edge G925S Nougat OS download link here.
- When the download is done you have to extract the archived contents and save them on your PC.
You will obtain the G925LKLU3EQC5 tar.md5 firmware installation file.
– don’t extract the “tar.md5” firmware contents, as that’s the file you need to load and flash with ODIN.
- Download Odin 3.12.3 zip from here.
– when the download is done you can unzip the contents and save them on your PC.
- Power off the Galaxy S6 Edge.
- Boot your phone in Download Mode now.
- Open the ODIN exe on your computer.
- Connect the phone to PC via usb cable.
Wait for ODIN to add the device, and then you can continue to the next step.
- Go to ODIN main menu and click AP button.
- Now, find and load the G925LKLU3EQC5 tar.md5 firmware update file in ODIN.
- Press START and the Android 7 Nougat OS upgrade will begin.
– don’t press anything until the update is done.
- When the new firmware is done flashing you can see the PASS alert shown by ODIN. The phone should reboot, too.
- Unplug the phone from PC and then use the default login info in order to regain control over your device once again.
If you see the FAIL alert displayed by ODIN, then you will be forced to repeat the whole tutorial more than once. If you have to repeat installation you need to make sure that you won’t skip any steps and that your phone meets all requirements listed above the tutorial.
If the PASS message is shown by the ODIN app, but your Galaxy S6 edge Korea model enters in a boot loop, or it gets stuck at the boot animation screen, then you will have to Factory Reset the phone.
The Factory Reset process wipes clean system partition and it is something that will help those that have installed the Android 7 Nougat update over a custom ROM, too.
Here’s how to Factory Reset your device:
- power off the phone.
- boot it in Recovery Mode.
- select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’.
- confirm process.
- reboot your phone in normal mode.
If you need more help you should tell us in comments below.