Huawei Mate 10 Pro can be easily tweaked thanks to those of xda-developers who found a way to gain root access on the stock Android firmware that comes pre-loaded on this device. However, before ensuring root you will have to unlock the bootloader, this being the first tweak step to perform in this case. So, in order to help you succeed with your plans, during the following guidelines we will show you how to unlock the bootloader of your Huawei Mate 10 Pro.
The bootloader is a small program that runs by default on your Mate 10 Pro. The program is part of Android core system, so your phone cannot run without it. Its role is to load the Android OS and essential other start-up programs from the ROM memory into the RAM partition. However by default the bootloader is coming with different restrictions installed which won’t let you initiate any other custom operations.
So, if you will want to tweak your Huawei Mate 10 Pro you will have to unlock the bootloader first. Now, even though this process is supported by your OEM, the actual unlocking procedure is not official. Thus, as strange as it might sound, you will lose your phone’s warranty if you choose to resume the steps from below. Don’t worry, if you will need to reclaim the warranty you will have to reinstall the stock Android firmware on your device – of course, in that case the bootloder will be relocked and your handset restored back to its initial state.
Now, on an unlocked bootloader you can gain root access. Additionally, you can also complete further custom processes such as flashing custom recovery images, removing bloatware, making Nandroid backups, adding custom MODs, kernels and custom ROMs, overclock / undervolt CPU frequencies and lot more.
Even though it’s unlikely to lose something while you unlock the bootloader of your Huawei Mate 10 Pro I recommend you to make a general backup. If somehow something will go wrong and if your data will get corrupted or wiped out, the best will be to have something to rely on. And in this case it’s all about being precautious. Therefore, complete a backup by syncing your files with your Google Account, by using backup and restore apps from Google Play or by using built-in cloud storage platforms added by Huawei or by your carrier.
For being able to unlock the bootloader or you Huawei Mate 10 Pro you should first take care of the essential pre-requisites. These operations are explained and listed below:
- A computer must be used – there, you need to install the Mate 10 Pro drivers and the Android SDK toolkit: learn how to install Android SDK on Windows or how to set up ADB on MAC OS X / Linux.
- On your smartphone gain Developer Options: go to Menu – > Settings and access About Phone; then start tapping repeatedly, for 7 or 10 times, on Built Number until you receive the ‘you are a developer’ message.
- On your device go to Developer Options that’s located under Settings and check the USB Debugging option; also check the OEM Unlocking field.
- Charge your smartphone before unlocking its bootloader if the power left is lower than 50%.
- Don’t skip the charging process as otherwise your Mate 10 Pro will get turned off while you try to complete the steps from below; in that case you can end up in soft bricking your Android based device.
- Keep in mind that this step by step guide is compatible only with the Huawei Mate 10 Pro. So, try not to mess things up by using this tutorial for a similar or different Android based handset.
How to Unlock the Huawei Mate 10 Pro Bootloader
- This process will require your Huawei account; if you don’t have one, go here and register.
- Now, access this page in order to get the unlock key for your Huawei Mate 10 Pro.
- Just log in and agree with the alerts displayed there.
- Then, follow on-screen prompts and fill up the form in order to ask for the unlocking code.
- When displayed, write down this code as you will have to use it in a few moments.
- On your computer download the Huawei Funky tool from this page; save this file on desktop and unzip.
- Connect your smartphone with your computer via USB cable.
- Then, access the Funky tool folder and from there open a cmd window: press and hold the Shift keyboard key and while doing so right-click on any blank space and pick up ‘open command prompt window here’.
- In the cmd window type ‘adb devices’ – your phone should be now recognized; if it isn’t reinstall its USB drivers before retrying this step.
- Next, type ‘adb reboot bootloader’ and press Enter: this will bring bootloader mode on your Mate 10 Pro.
- Return to the cmd window and enter: ‘fastboot oem unlock Unlock-key’ (replace unlock-key with the key you just received from Huawei).
- That’s it; the bootloader of your Mate 10 Pro will be automatically unlocked.
- When done, remove the USB cable and reboot your phone. Enjoy.
There you have it. The bootloader that runs on your Huawei Mate 10 Pro is now unlocked which means that you can successfully gain root access and perform further tweaking processes in order to customize, optimize and personalize everything else. Enjoy and stay close for further tutorials; also, share your observations with us through the comments field from down below.