HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle might be a budget Android based device that runs on an relatively outdated processor, but if you are not a high-end user you will still get a decent overall experience even when using complex apps. And you can always choose to improve the built-in performance by applying the right tweaks. If you want to do that, then you should start with this tutorial – during the lines that are explained below we will check how to unlock the bootloader that runs on your HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle.
Unlocking the bootloader is the first tweaking operation that must be completed when you want to achieve full control over the stock Android system. The bootloader is running with different restrictions which are there to prevent customizations and optimizations, so if you want to change settings, features and improve capabilities and the overall functionality you first have to remove these restrictions.
The bootloader that runs on your HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle is a small program initiated each time a boot or a reboot is executed. Thus, we are talking about an essential program without which your smartphone cannot properly run. The bootloader will load the Android OS along with other built-in features and start-app apps from the ROM memory into the RAM partition. Therefore, you cannot modify it, but you can unlock it for gaining further control over your Android powered device.
As some general conclusions, with an unlocked bootloader you can start tweaking your HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle. In that respect, once this step by step guide is completed you can consider in gaining root access by flashing SuperSU, you can install a custom recovery image like TWRP or CWM recovery, you can update your phone with custom ROMs such as Lineage OS, AOKP or Paranoid Android, you can install root-only apps and other similar tools from other sources than Google Play, you can make Nandroid backups and save Android system files, you can overclock or undervolt CPU frequencies and lot more.
You should backup your data before starting to unlock the bootloader. Usually, general data – the files which aren’t there from day one, so your personal stuffs – can get corrupted or wiped out during the unlock process. So, you should be careful in order to secure everything that might be required afterwards. Therefore, you should sync your files with your Google account, use other built-in cloud storage solutions, download compatible backup and restore apps from Google Play or smartly manage any other backup alternatives in order to avoid further unpleasant situations.
Of course, unlocking the Android system that runs on your HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle cannot be an official process. Well, in that respect, completing this tutorial for unlocking your phone’s bootloader is not an operation supported by your OEM. Bottom line, you are going to lose your phone’s warranty if you continue to apply the steps explained below. Hint: if required, the warranty can be restored; however that can be done only by reinstalling the stock Android OS in which case the bootloader will be relocked.
The bootloader can be unlocked manually which means that you will first have to review the essential pre-requisites that are listed below:
- A computer is required; your HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle and its USB cord are also required for this operation.
- On your computer you need to install Android SDK, so learn to: install Android SDK on Windows or set up ADB on MAC OS X / Linux.
- On the same computer you need to flash your phone’s drivers – otherwise your handset won’t be recognized during the unlocking procedure.
- On your HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle you have to enable Developer options – navigate to About Phone and tap repeatedly on Built Number until you receive the ‘you are a developer’ message.
- You also have to check the USB Debugging option and the OEM Unlock feature – these fields are located under Menu – > Settings – > Developer Options.
- You should charge your smartphone before starting anything else – if the battery is lower than 50% your device can get turned off while you apply the steps from below.
- If the charging is not considered and if the sudden shut down even occurs, your smartphone might get soft bricked – different malfunctions might be caused.
- Similar unpleasant situation might happen if you apply the steps from below on a similar or different Android based device – this tutorial is therefore compatible only with the HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle so try not to mess things up.
How to easily and quickly unlock the HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle bootloader
- From your computer access the HTC Developer website from here – if you don’t have an account create one.
- Then, from the dropdown menu choose your own device and click on the Begin Unlock Bootloader option.
- Agree with the alerts when asked.
- Meanwhile, power on your smartphone and connect it with your computer via USB cable.
- Also, on your computer access the Android SDK folder and from there open a command prompt window: press and hold the Shift keyboard key and while doing so right-click on any blank space; then choose ‘open command prompt window here’.
- While connected with your computer, power off your phone; then, press and hold the Power and Volume Down buttons together until fastboot mode is displayed on your handset.
- From fastboot mode choose to enter the bootloader environment.
- Now, in the cmd window type ‘fastboot oem get_identifier_token’ and press Enter.
- A string of code will be returned in cmd; write down this code as you will have to use it in a few moments.
- Copy this code on the HTC Dev site within My Device Identifier Token. Afterwards, the unlock code will be emailed to you.
- Open your email and download the received .bin file.
- Place this file inside the Android SDK folder.
- Return to the cmd window and type ‘fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin’ and press Enter.
- Now the bootloader on your HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle will be automatically unlocked.
- When that’s done, remove the USB cord and reboot your smartphone.
- That’s all.
Good work. The bootloader of your HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle should be now unlocked. You can now successfully complete other tweaking operations on your smartphone, operations that can help you customize, optimize and personalize the Android OS – of course, the goal will be to improve general performance, bump speeds or upgrade battery life. Anyhow, stay close if you want to learn further tips and tricks available for your HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle – in the meantime you can use the comments field from below for sharing how things worked for you while completing the steps from this guide. Enjoy.