You can tweak your Lenovo K8 Note without hassle as third party support for this device is already available – in that respect, as always, all the credits should go to those of xda-developers as they are trying to develop the best tweaks for our Android based devices. Anyway, most of these tweaks can be applied on the K8 Note only if the bootloader is unlocked. So, before choosing to customize and optimize your smartphone and its built-in Android software you should learn how to successfully unlock its bootloader, a process which will be detailed during the following guidelines.
The bootloader is a small program or mode that is running by default on your Lenovo K8 Note. This program is also essential as your phone cannot run properly without it. Now, for better understanding how it works you can compare it with the software that is running on any Windows based computers: each time you boot or reboot a Windows-powered laptop, notebook or PC a small program will be initiated. That software is there to load the Android OS and other essential start-up programs from the ROM memory into the RAM partition.
The same thing is happening when the bootloader of your Lenovo K8 Note is booted or rebooted. But, in this case the program will initiate some restrictions which are there to prevent you from making changes within the Android core system. And that’s why you need to learn how to unlock the bootloader – for removing this restrictions and gaining further control over the Android OS.
Now, on an unlocked bootloader you can start your tweaking initiatives. And, the most common custom operations that can be completed are: installing a custom recovery image such as TWRP recovery, gaining root access by flashing SuperSU or any other similar root exploit, install custom ROMs like Lineage OS, AOKP or Paranoid Android, remove bloatware, flash custom MODs and kernels, add root-only apps, install apps from other sources than Google Play, get features which aren’t available on the stock Android firmware, overclock your Android device, make Nandroid backups and much more.
As you can observe, unlocking the bootloader that runs on your Lenovo K8 Note is not really optional, especially if you are an advanced Android user who is always trying to use his handset on full power without dealing with any sort of restrictions.
Anyway, there is also a risk involved as that happens when restrictions are removed. So, if you choose to apply the steps from below you are going to lose your Lenovo K8 Note warranty – that is happening because you will complete an unofficial operation. Anyway, don’t worry as you won’t have to use any third party apps or risky programs – from this perspective you have nothing to worry about. Also, if required the warranty can be restored. In that case you will have to reinstall the stock Android firmware, situation during which the bootloader will be relocked.
A backup should be completed too. This is a precaution measure as during the unlocking process you might lose personal data, info, accounts and files – your data might get corrupted or a wipe might be initiated. So, if you don’t want to risk in losing something important don’t hesitate and secure everything that means something for you – including contacts, call logs, texts, images, videos, audio files, market apps and similar other packages. A general backup can be applied by using Lenovo’s own cloud storage services, by syncing your files with your Google Apps or by downloading compatible, and already tested, backup and restore apps from Google Play.
This is going to be a manual process which can be completed only in certain conditions. That’s why you should first review the pre-requisites which are being listed below:
- You have to use a computer.
- On that computer the Lenovo K8 Note drivers must be installed.
- Also, Android SDK must be flashed: so, learn how to install Android SDK on Windows or how to set up ADB on MAC OS X / Linux.
- On your smartphone you will have to gain Developer rights – from About Phone you have to tap repeatedly (for 7 or 10 times) on Built Number until you receive the ‘you are a developer’ message.
- Also on you handset you have to check the USB Debugging field and the OEM Unlocking feature – these options can be accessed from Menu – > Settings – > Developer Options.
- You need to verify the battery status on your K8 Note. It will be important to charge your smartphone before unlocking the bootloader if the power that’s left will be lower than 50%.
- Hint: don’t skip the charging as you will risk in soft bricking your device – different software related malfunctions can be caused within the Android core system if your phone will get turned off in the middle of the unlocking procedure.
- Of course, complete the steps from below only if you own the Lenovo K8 Note; don’t try these guidelines on any other Android based device as you will risk in messing everything up.
How to Unlock Lenovo K8 Note Bootloader
- Switch on your computer and your smartphone.
- Connect your device with your computer with the help of the USB cable.
- Then, on your computer access the Android SDK folder.
- From that path open a command prompt window: press and hold the Shift keyboard key and while doing so right click on any blank space; finally from the list that’s displayed choose ‘open command prompt window here’.
- In the cmd window type ‘adb reboot bootloader’.
- The bootloader mode (or the fastboot environment) will be now automatically reached on your Android device.
- Return to the command prompt line and type ‘fastboot oem unlock’ and press Enter.
- Now the bootloader of your Lenovo K8 Note will be automatically unlocked.
- When done, close the cmd window, remove the USB cable and reboot your phone.
- If a boot loop is caused you have to access recovery mode from where you should initiate a hard reset and clear app data cache – that can be done by choosing ‘wipe data factory reset’ followed by ‘wipe cache partition’.
- That should be all.
Congratulations. The bootloader that runs on your Lenovo K8 Note is now unlocked so you can start to tweak the default Android system. You can tell us how the steps from below worked for you by using the comments field from below. If you have questions or if you want to learn how to complete other similar custom operations, don’t hesitate and contact our team – we will try to assist you as soon as possible. Enjoy.