You can use the Android system on full power without any limits only if root access is ensured. So, if you want to unleash the true potential of your Sony Xperia Z5 Premium you must first root the Android OS that runs by default on your device. That’s why, you should check and apply all the guidelines from below. There I will detail the root process (with its advantages, risks and pre-requisites) that can be successfully applied on the Xperia Z5 Premium along with the steps that must be performed for completing the actual root sequence.
As already outlined during the introductory lines from above, the root process will remove factory / default restrictions that run along with the Android core system. Thus, the goal is to extend your access towards the internal system of your smartphone. The results will be just great as your tweaking opportunities will be endless.
And right from the start we should discuss about custom ROMs. Yes, that’s right, on a rooted Sony Xperia Z5 Premium you will be able to apply unofficial updates – in that way you can flash the latest Android release ahead of the official roll out and you will be able to keep your phone updated even after the official support will be ended.
Additionally, once this guide is completed you can install root-only apps from Google Play and from other sources too, you can flash custom MODs and kernels, you can overclock or undervolt CPU frequencies, you can remove bloatware and start-up programs and you can change / customize / optimize / personalize everything else.
Root access can be applied, in our particular situation, by flashing SuperSU. This is a custom root exploit developed and offered by Chainfire – we must thank him for this unlocking opportunity. Thus, the root operation isn’t supported by Sony or by Google. Unfortunately, that can mean only one thing: the warranty of your Xperia Z5 Premium will get void at this point. The warranty can be however restored if you will choose to reinstall the stock Android firmware.
As a precaution measure you should backup everything that’s not installed by default on your phone. While root is ensured your data might get corrupted or a wipe might be initiated situations during which you end up in losing everything: contacts, call logs, texts, images, videos, audio files, market apps, internet settings, calendar info, saved passwords, EFS folder, IMEI / NVRAM data and more. Therefore, secure your personal files by syncing your data with your Google Account, by using cloud storage platforms or by downloading backup and restore apps from Google Play.
And then, before heading towards the actual root process, follow the essential pre-requisites explained during this list:
- Unlock the bootloader of your Sony branded device – an unlocked bootloader will let you gain root access on your Android device.
- Install TWRP recovery on your Sony Xperia Z5 Premium as the SuperSU root exploit can be installed only through a custom recovery image.
- On your phone enable Developer Options: go to About Phone and tap repeatedly, for 7 or 10 times, on Built Number; keep tapping until the ‘you are a developer’ message pops up.
- From Developer Options (go to Menu and tap on Settings) you then need to check the USB Debugging field.
- A computer is required as there you will download and save the root file – so make sure that your antivirus isn’t blocking the download process.
- Your smartphone and its USB cable are also required.
- Don’t forget to charge your phone first. This is an important aspect as your device can get turned off in the middle of the root operation and in that situation you can end up in soft bricking your handset.
- So, don’t do anything else without ensuring 50% or more power on your Sony Xperia Z5 Premium.
- And keep in mind that the steps from below will work only for the already mentioned handset, so try not to mess things up.
How to Root the Sony Xperia Z5 Premium with SuperSU
- Open your computer and enable an Internet connection.
- Then, navigate towards this page and download the SuperSU package.
- Store this file on desktop.
- Power on your phone and then connect it with your computer – use the USB cable for resuming this connection.
- From desktop transfer the root exploit on your smartphone and when the copy-paste process is completed unplug the USB cord – the computer isn’t required anymore.
- Switch off your Xperia Z5 Premium.
- Now, go to recovery mode on your Android device.
- From recovery tap on Install; then load the SuperSU package and swipe in order to start the flashing process.
- When done, return to main menu of recovery and tap on Reboot.
- Hint: if a boot loop is caused you should return to recovery mode. From there you need to initiate a hard reset and clear app data cache by choosing “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”.
Good work. Root access should be now ensured on your Sony Xperia Z5 Premium. You can verify the root access easily by downloading and running the Root Checker app from Google Play. If you have questions and for sharing your rooting experience with us don’t hesitate and contact us through the comments field from below – don’t forget, we are here to assist you.