Did you update your Huawei Mate 9 to latest Android 8.0 Oreo via EMUI 8.0 firmware? If you did then you are now probably looking for a root method that’s compatible with this new Android system. Well, in that case we have exactly what you need: the easiest way in which you can successfully gain root access on the Huawei Mate 9 that is powered by the new built of EMUI and which is featured on the latest Android 8.0 Oreo software.
Of course, rooting the Android system that runs by default on your Huawei Mate 9 is an unofficial operation – you will use a root exploit developed and offered by xda senior member abbyvictor so we must thank him for this new unlock opportunity (we are here only to explain and detail the root operation and the pre-requisites that must be first applied on your Android based device). Thus, completing this tutorial will be an unofficial initiative – that’s why you will lose your phone’s warranty in the end.
Don’t worry though as you can restore the warranty by reinstalling the stock Android firmware – however, then you will lose the root access and restore your handset back to its initial state: the bootloader will be relocked, the stock recovery reinstalled and bloatware and other built-in apps re-applied.
Gaining root access is in fact an unlocking process that’s here to ensure additional control over the Android system that powers your Huawei Mate 9. Basically you will manage to remove built-in / default restrictions that are pre-loaded on your handset. Finally, on a rooted Android platform you will be able to tweak everything you want by applying further custom operations such as: flashing a custom recovery image, adding custom MODs, kernels and ROMs, overclocking / undervolting CPU frequencies, removing bloatware and so much more.
You have to backup your data before rooting the Android 8.0 Oreo based EMUI 8.0 firmware. Even though the root operation shouldn’t wipe anything, in some situations your files might get corrupted. So, if you know that you have important data stored on your Huawei Mate 9, you shouldn’t start anything without securing your contacts, call logs, texts, images, videos, audio files, market apps, internet settings, calendar info, EFS folder, IMEI / NVRAM data and so on. This backup operation can be applied without hassle by syncing your data with your Google Account, by downloading and using dedicated backup and restore apps from Google Play or by using built-in cloud storage platforms that are already running on your phone.
You need to download the root exploit and flash it afterwards on your handset. Therefore, a computer, your smartphone and its USB cable are all required. On your phone you will need to gain Developer rights first: tap repeatedly on Built Number until the ‘you are a developer’ message is displayed. Then, go to Menu – > Settings – > Developer Options and check the USB Debugging field. Finally, make sure that the power that’s left on your Mate 9 is higher than 50%; if not, plug in the charger before resuming the steps from below – this is an important aspect as if your device will get turned off in the middle of the unlock process you will risk in soft-bricking the Android core system.
An unlocked bootloader is required – this is the first unlock process that can be applied on the Android system; well, gaining root isn’t possible unless your Huawei Mate 9 is running on an unlocked bootloader – you can learn how to complete this additional operation by using this guide.
As already pointed out above, you will have to flash the root exploit on your smartphone. Well, this particular flashing process can be completed only if a custom recovery image can be used. Thus, before doing anything else learn how to install TWRP recovery on the Huawei Mate 9.
How to Root Huawei Mate 9 running on EMUI 8.0 Firmware based on Android 8.0 Oreo
- Download the root exploit for your Huawei Mate 9 from this page.
- Save this file on desktop or somewhere you can easily access it.
- Next, connect your smartphone with your computer – make this connection by plugging in the USB cable.
- Select the root package from your computer and copy-paste it on your Huawei Mate 9.
- Remove the USB cable when you are done.
- Switch off your handset and wait while the power off process is completed.
- Then, reboot your Android device into recovery mode.
- From recovery tap on Install and pick up the root file; then, swipe and wait while the flashing process is completed.
- Note: if you’re using a different recovery than TWRP recovery, choose instead: ‘install zip from SD card’ followed by ‘choose zip from SD card’.
- When done, return to main menu of recovery and from there choose ‘reboot system now’.
- If during this reboot process your handset gets stuck in a boot loop don’t panic. Return to recovery mode and choose to clear app data cache and initiate a hard reset; you can do it by selecting ‘wipe data factory reset’ and ‘wipe cache partition’.
There you have it; root access is ensured on your Huawei Mate 9 that runs on Android 8.0 Oreo via EMUI 8.0. You can verify if root is indeed there by downloading and running the Root Checker app from Google Play. You can also share everything about your rooting experience with us and with other users who are ready to use this step by step guide by filling out the comments field from down below.