When discussing about an open-source platform, just like the Android system, it’s everything about changing the default. Yes, by adding personal customizations and optimizations you can choose how to tweak the Android OS in order to bump speeds, upgrade battery life and change the default functionality and looks. Well, in our case this can be obtained through a single dedicated custom operation: gaining root access. So, today, during this tutorial we will check how to easily root the Huawei Honor 7X.
Ensuring root on the new Honor 7X is possible thanks to those of xda-developers. They managed to flash SuperSU on the Android OS that runs by default on your smartphone which means that you can now successfully gain root privileges in an easy and quick way. Everything that must be applied is an installation process – in this way you can add the SuperSU root exploit on your Huawei branded device. But, of course, since we are discussing about a third-party app, some essential pre-requisites must be first detailed.
Yes, you are going to flash a third party app which cannot be associated with Google or with Huawei. Shortly, ensuring root represent an unofficial operation – unfortunately, you are going to lose your Honor 7X warranty if you decide to resume the steps from below. However, if required, the warranty can be afterwards restored. For being able to do so you will have to reinstall the stock Android firmware situation during which root access will be revoked.
Good; now you should also be careful in term of losing personal files – during root your data might get corrupted or a wipe might be initiated. So, in rare situations you might end up in losing your personal data, info, accounts and files. Thus, a general backup should be first applied on your Honor 7X. Through this backup you should be able to secure everything that might be required afterwards including contacts, call logs, texts, images, videos, audio files, market apps, internet settings and so on. Additionally, you can make a Nandroid backup and save the current Android OS that runs on your handset – you can restore it, if something will get wrong during the root operation.
You will be able to flash SuperSU only in some conditions. In that respect you need to know that you can complete the steps explained below only if you first unlock the bootloader of your Honor 7X – that will be the first unlock process that has to be ensured on your phone. Moreover, the root exploit can be successfully added only by using a custom recovery image – therefore, before doing anything else learn how to install TWRP recovery on your Huawei Honor 7X.
Moreover, other pre-requisites must be reviewed before you resume the root process:
- A computer should be at your disposal – the root exploit will have to be downloaded on your computer first.
- On your smartphone you need to gain Developer rights – from About Phone (within menu – > settings) tap repeatedly, for about 7 or 10 times, on Built Number.
- Then, from Developer Options (it should be displayed under menu – > settings) you have to check the USB Debugging feature.
- On your phone ensure enough power for the root process – I recommend you to make sure that there is at least 50% power left.
- If the power is too low there is a risk: your Honor 7X can get switched off right while you try to flash SuperSU – if that happens your device might get soft bricked (you can end up in experiencing malfunctions within the Android core system).
- Of course, complete all the steps from below only if you own the Huawei Honor 7X – otherwise you will risk in messing everything up so be careful.
How to quickly Root Honor 7X by flashing SuperSU
- Download the root exploit file for your Honor 7X. You can download the root package from here.
- Place this file on desktop as you will have to use it in a few moments.
- Power on your smartphone and connect it with your computer – just plug in the USB cord.
- On your computer select the SuperSu file. Then, copy-paste this file on your smartphone.
- When done, remove the USB cord and switch off your handset.
- Now, reboot recovery mode on your Honor 7X.
- From recovery tap on Install. Then, load the root file and swipe in order to start the flashing process.
- Wait while the operation is completed and when done return to main menu of recovery and select ‘reboot system now.
- If a boot loop is issued during this last reboot return to recovery mode; from there choose to make a hard reset and to clear app data cache – just select ‘wipe data factory reset’ followed by ‘wipe cache partition’.
You can verify if root was successfully gained by downloading a dedicated app from Google Play – just get and run the Root Checker tool. Good; so there you have it, that’s how you can root the Huawei Honor 7X. You can share your experience with us and with other users who are interested in using this step by step guide by using the comments field that’s available below.