How to Install TWRP Recovery on Huawei Y6 Pro
Huawei Y6 Pro is still a decent smartphone even though it is a year and a half old. However, if you’re still using it as your daily driver, or as a backup phone, now it will be a good idea to tweak its system. Why? Well, for being able to keep everything updated and for receiving more power from its Android OS. Thus, that’s why we are talking today about how to install the latest version of TWRP recovery on the Huawei Y6 Pro.
As you might know, TWRP recovery is a custom recovery image that can replace the stock recovery that’s running by default within the core Android system. The goal is to obtain more access for tweaking built-in features, apps and capabilities. And with TWRP recovery installed you can obtain exactly that: endless possibilities for customizing and optimizing your very own Huawei Y6 Pro.
Through a custom recovery image you can access and then modify the Android OS that runs by default. So, TWRP recovery is here to support your tweaking initiatives as after completing the steps from this guide you will be able to apply different operations such as: flashing SuperSU and gaining root access on your Huawei Y6 Pro, making a Nandroid backup and saving the current Android OS, installing different .zip files, getting root-only apps from Google Play or from other sources, adding custom kernels and MODs, updating with custom ROMs like Lineage OS, AOKP or Paranoid Android, removing bloatware or even overclocking the CPU frequencies.
TWRP recovery is based on the CWM recovery platform and comes with a touch-based interface and with intuitive and useful features and built-in options. The custom recovery image will smoothly run on the Huawei Y6 Pro, so from this perspective you have nothing to worry about.
Of course, TWRP recovery is not developed by Huawei but by third party devs. That’s why the steps from below are not supported by your OEM. Also, that’s why your phone’s warranty might get lost during this tutorial.
An unlocked bootloader is required for this process – you can install TWRP recovery on your Huawei branded device only after unlocking the bootloader so complete this process first.
Also, backup your smartphone for protecting your personal data, info, accounts and files – during the flashing process explained below your files might get corrupted or wiped out. So, use your favorite backup and restore tools and secure your contacts, call logs, texts, images, videos, audio files, market apps, internet settings, IMEI / NVRAM data, calendar info and everything else that wasn’t there from day one. As a general recommendation, you should sync your files with your Google Account or you should use built-in cloud storage platforms.
TWRP recovery can be installed on the Huawei Y6 Pro only if a manual process is followed and applied. That’s why you need to make sure that a computer can be used. On that particular computer you need to install Android SDK; so first learn how to install Android SDK on Windows or how to set up ADB on MAC OS X / Linux. Your Huawei Y6 Pro drivers must be also flashed on your computer. Afterwards, on your phone enable Developer Options: go to About Phone and then tap repeatedly on Built Number – after 7 or 10 taps you will receive the ‘you are a developer’ message. Next, from Developer Options (from menu – > settings) check the USB Debugging feature.
One last thing: you must charge your Huawei Y6 Pro before installing the custom recovery image if the power left is currently lower than 50%. If the power drains out your device will get turned off in the middle of the TWRP recovery flashing operation. And, if that happens you can end up in experiencing various software related problems. So, verify the power that’s left and charge your handset if that’s required.
How to Install TWRP Recovery on Huawei Y6 Pro
- Download the TWRP recovery package for the Huawei Y6 Pro. You can get this package from this page.
- Save the custom recovery image on desktop.
- Rename the TWRP recovery file into ‘recovery.img’.
- Transfer the recently renamed file inside the Android SDK folder and from that path open a command prompt window.
- For launching cmd: press and hold the Shift keyboard key and while doing so right click on any blank space; then select ‘open command prompt window here’.
- Switch off your Huawei Y6 Pro and afterwards reboot fastboot mode on your smartphone.
- Connect your device with your computer; use your phone’s USB cable for establishing this connection.
- Now, in the cmd window type: fastboot devices; your phone should be listed there, if not reinstall its drivers and retry.
- In the same cmd window enter: fastboot flash recovery recovery.img.
- Wait while TWRP recovery is installed.
- When done, in cmd execute fastboot reboot.
- That should be all; if a boot loop is experienced access recovery mode on your Android device and from there choose to make a wipe by selecting: “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”.
There you have it. That’s how TWRP recovery can be installed on the Huawei Y6 Pro. Now you can gain root access and initiate various other tweaking operations for improving the performance of your device. Go ahead and share your experience with us and also stay close for further tutorials and Android related tips and tricks available for your Huawei Y6 Pro.