The December Security patch is officially available for the OnePlus 5T. The firmware was just launched in form of a new OTA which will be gradually rolled out for all the OnePlus 5T devices. Gradually means that you might have to wait for your notification as the firmware will embrace some devices sooner than others. Therefore, if you want to update your OnePlus 5T with the stock OxygenOS 4.7.6 software, don’t hesitate and use the guidelines from below – there you will learn from where to download the OTA package and also how to manually flash it on your smartphone.
OxygenOS 4.7.6 isn’t a major OS improvement. It is a minor update that comes to address recently reported bug fixes and stability improvements. Moreover, the firmware is here to add a plus of security as it will address some Android breaches and other features that might not be fully secured on your phone. Overall, if you want to experience a stable and a smooth Android system you should hesitate from flashing this new December security patch.
As already pointed out, the OxygenOS 4.7.6 firmware is OTA available but that doesn’t mean you are going to receive the Android notification right away. As always, when OTAs are involved some users will receive the software sooner while others might have to wait a little longer. However, if the OTA can also be downloaded, you can skip this way by choosing to flash the ROM manually. That will be an official process as you will still use the stock OS and not a custom ROM like Lineage OS, AOKP or Paranoid Android.
So, by resuming the steps from below you won’t risk in losing your phone’s warranty. Also, you won’t have to use risky programs or third party apps. As you will see, completing the update process is quite intuitive – even a newbie will be able to successfully apply all the steps without hassle.
Your data should remain in safe hands during the update operation as you will install the OTA. However, in rare situations some files might get corrupted during the flashing process. Or, a full wipe might be required in the end. So, the best thing will be to backup everything at this point – this is just a precaution measure. As a general idea, the backup can be easily applied by using built-in cloud storage platforms from your OnePlus 5T. Additionally, you can download similar platforms from Google Play (make sure you download already tested tools) or you can just sync your data with your own Google Account.
A computer will be required during the steps from below – there you will have to download the OxygenOS 4.7.6 December Security patch for your OnePlus 5T. Of course, your smartphone and its USB cable will be required too. Do note that root access shouldn’t be ensured on your phone. You are going to flash the official OTA so any tweaks that were previously performed might mess things up for you (the update operation will be completed through stock recovery image – therefore, you don’t even have to install a custom recovery image first).
On your OnePlus 5T you should have Developer Options enabled. This process can be achieved by going to About Phone and tapping repeatedly on Built Number (for 7 or 10 times) until the ‘you are a developer’ message is displayed. Also, the USB Debugging feature should be checked – this field is located under Developer Options, within Menu – > Settings.
An update operation shouldn’t be performed before ensuring enough power on your device – at least 50% power should be displayed on your phone. If the power is not enough your handset might get switched off in the middle of the flashing operation and in that particular situation you can end up in experiencing different software related problems (shortly, you can end up in soft bricking your phone). So, be careful and verify the power before doing anything else if you want to avoid unpleasant situations from taking place.
One more thing: the OxygenOS 4.7.6 December Security path offered below is compatible only with the OnePlus 5T. Thus, don’t use this step by step guide in case you own a similar or a different Android based device as you will mess things up.
Download and Install Stock OxygenOS 4.7.6 Firmware on OnePlus 5T
- Well, start by downloading the OTA package for your smartphone. You can get this file from this page.
- First, save this file on desktop.
- Next, switch on your smartphone and connect it with your computer – ensure this connection by using your phone’s USB cable.
- Transfer the downloaded update file from desktop to your phone – make sure you transfer the zip file in the root of your internal storage and not in any other folder or subfolder.
- You can unplug the USB cable when done because the computer is no longer useful.
- Now, reboot your OnePlus 5T.
- Then, go to Settings and switch to System Updates.
- From System Updates tap on the Gear icon located on the top-right corner of the main window.
- Select Local Upgrade from the next screen.
- The OTA package should be displayed there.
- Tap on it and just follow on screen prompts for resuming the update process.
- The firmware should be automatically installed; in the end your smartphone will be automatically rebooted.
- This final reboot might take a while; just wait until it’s completed.
- If you get stuck into a boot loop try to: access recovery mode and initiate a full wipe – from recovery select “wipe data factory reset”, followed by “wipe dalvik cache”.
There you have it. That’s how you can successfully and manually update your OnePlus 5T with the latest OxygenOS 4.7.6 December security patch OTA. You can share your update experience with us and with other users who might be interested in using this tutorial, easily by filling out the comments field from down below.